Our Favorite Maya Angelou Quotes May 8, 2017 by Sarah (Day Styles)
Maya Angelou was one of the world’s most famous poets, writers, and civil rights activists up until her passing in 2014. Her poems, books, speeches and acting performances will be remembered forever thanks to her beautifully written words and personal stories of struggle and pain. We’ve collected some of her most famous quotes to help inspire you to live a greater and more open life in honor of one of America’s best poets:
1. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
2. If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
3. When you learn, teach. When you get, give.
4. There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.
5. Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future and renders the present inaccessible.
6. A friend may be waiting behind a stranger’s face.
7. If I am not good to myself, how can I expect anyone else to be good to me?
8. Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.
9. Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
10. Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.
11. When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.
12. Be present in all things and thankful for all things.
13. Nothing will work unless you do.
14. You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody.
15. You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
16. My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
17. I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t laugh.
18. History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
19. If you only have one smile in you, give it to the people you love.
20. In diversity, there is beauty and there is strength.
21. It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.
22. We may encounter many defeats, but we must not be defeated.
23. You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
24. Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.
25. I know for sure that love saves me and that it is here to save us all.